PIE e/o Ablaut

proto-language proto-language at email.msn.com
Tue Apr 4 01:11:54 UTC 2000

Dear Peter and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "petegray" <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2000 2:22 PM

>>> .. pra-ugam

>> To what IE root do you propose to attribute [-ugam]?

> Hyeug - to yoke.   Either the /y/ or the /H/ has caused hiatus here by
> dropping out.   This means that your "rule" for the combination /a + u/ is
> not always true.

[PR]
I am not sure why you reconstruct an initial laryngeal.

But, to explain the form, I think one looks first at OI yuga'-. Here the
stress-accent has effected a zero-grade of the first syllable of the root,
leaving avocalic /w/, which is realized as the phone [u].

With the stress-accent, we have forms like yo:'ga-.

I think, in your example, the laryngeal is probably a part of the prefix,
*pra:-, corresponding to Avestan fra:-.

Therefore, I suggest that a late IE preH(3)-yeug-em was assimilated to
'preH(3)-H(3)ug-m, and that the doubled laryngeal was simplified to
'preH(3)-ug-m.

Will that work for you?

>> su-astaye.

> The problem is again that your "rule" of consonant/vowel allophones doesn't
> work and would need revising to cover cases like this.   Perhaps you can
> revise it without trouble - but in its present form, a succession of two
> vowels is not possible.

> Peter

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN | PROTO-LANGUAGE at email.msn.com (501) 227-9947 * 9115 W. 34th
St. Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: PROTO-LANGUAGE:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/ and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/proto-language/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit ek,
at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er
mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)