"lumpers"

Richard M. Alderson III alderson at netcom.com
Thu Apr 6 18:29:44 UTC 2000

While I have not had the pleasure of meeting the others named by Mr. Holm, I
studied Anatolian linguistics with Prof. Shevoroshkin for an entire semester.
Although I was not interested in the (Illic^-Svityc^) Nostratic etymologies
proposed for various difficult Lycian, Lydian, or Carian items, my overall
impression of him was positive:  He clearly is an excellent linguist with a
strong grasp of the methodologies of historical linguistics.

I would not even rule out a work associated with Mr. Ruhlen without at least a
cursory examination.  I daresay most list members are as tolerant as I...

								Rich Alderson