Reference on Numbers of Saxons

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 09:03:18 UTC 2000

In a message dated 11/30/00 7:33:11 PM Mountain Standard Time,
Tristan at mail.scm-rpg.com.au writes:

<< The Romano-British influence was pretty non-existant language wise, I do not
 a lot about how they affected Anglo-Saxon culture.

-- hard to say, since many of the institutions -- war-band organization, for
instance -- were in common.

One should also note that on the Continent, Christianity survived.
Anglo-Saxon England became as purely pagan as Scandinavia.

>I doubt those languages preserved as little of pervious languages than Old
>English did.

-- there's a very early strata of Dravidian loanwords in Sanskrit; even in
the Rig-Veda.  It's the strongest single indication that IE languages spread
from Central Asia/Iran into India, rather than vice-versa.  Although there
are plenty of others.