Reference on Numbers of Saxons

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Tue Dec 5 20:26:59 UTC 2000

The record in question from which the name <Coit Maur> is drawn
is Asser's Latin life of King Alfred, composed in the late 9th
century.  Asser was a Welshman and most likely substituted
traditional Welsh names for the places he mentions in Wessex and
elsewhere in Lloegr, so he is not a reliable source for Brythonic
outside of Wales.  This point was made a long time ago by
Jackson in _Language and History in Early Britain_.

Also, the vocalism of the Common Celtic word for "big" is not
necessarily <mo:r->, though the pre-Celtic etymon has been
reconstructed as such (by Lambert and others).  The attested word
has <a> in all early forms, e.g., Gaulish <-maros> in proper
names,  Old Irish <ma:r>, Welsh <mawr>.  Old Irish also has
<mo:r>, the only form retained in later Irish and Scottish Gaelic (I
think), but this may be due to the influence of the comparative
<mo:>.  At any rate, conventional wisdom is that I-E <a:> and <o:>
fell together in Common Celtic in non-final syllables.

Jim Rader