txakur/dzhagaru/cachorro....

Thu Dec 28 21:00:44 UTC 2000

I hope I'm not dogging everyone too much with this puppy :>

I looked in Buck and found

	Latin catulus, catellus "puppy, cub" [Buck 1949: 180]
	Rumanian catel, Old Italian catello, Old French cael, obsolete
French cheau [Buck 1949: 180]
	Old Norse hadhna "kid", Russian kotot'sja, Polish kocic'sie "bear
cub" [Buck 1949: 180]
	Posner also cites Sardinian kateddu "little dog, puppy" < *ket- +
-ellu [Posner 1996: 86]

	Monteagudo [1976: 94] gives a "pre-Romance" root *kats, *kac^ "dog"

	which suggests the possibility of
catulus/catellus > *katlu > *katju/kakju/kacju > *kac^o > cach-orro

	although I imagine an /e/ would be expected, as in lacte- > leche

	so maybe there was influence from Spanish cazar, Italian cacciare
"to hunt" < Vulgar Latin *captiare "to hunt" < Latin capio "I take"

and BIG MAYBE a methathesis (or some type of sequence in which the
palatalization was scrambled) in Basque > txakur and BIGGER MAYBE a
backformation to zakur--but I don't expect anyone to take my word without
proof :>

	I'd appreciate suggestions

btw: would you be kind enough to repost your info in ASCII or TEX for the
examples that got garbled

	Does anyone know how recent the terms are in the Balkan and
Caucasus languages cited?
	Is it possible that they all spring from a Slavic, Greek or Turkish
term for a specific type of dog?

[snip]

>In the end he staits that Oötir was surely right when he put it with
>Alarodic elements and that it could be a part of pre-IE substratum as an old
>hunting term.

	Alarodic?

[snip]
>M. KapoviÊ