Frisian

Stefan Georg georg at rullet.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Feb 10 08:34:05 UTC 2000

>>, which extends the scope of the
>> tribe, if not the language, into modern Germany.

>Pardon me, but surely Frisian (the language) _does_ extend into modern
>Germany - it lies mostly along the region from Denmark - Germany -
>Netherlands.  Specifically, on the mainland East Frisian is found in
>Oldenburg (east of Kiel), North Frisian overlaps the Denmark-Germany border,
>and West Frisian is found entirely within Germany, (although also on the
>islands along that remarkable coast, some of which are claimed by the
>Netherlands).

>Peter

Pardon *me*, but I feel some details need a little adjustment here:

East Frisian is found in the region of Oldenburg (confined to a small bunch
of villages in the subregion called Saterland, and severely endangered
there; it has died out in most of the historical region of Ostfriesland
including the islands). Anyone trying to find this on the map should *not*
look east of Kiel, since s/he'll find little more than the Baltic Sea
there. The Oldenburg region is in the far *west*, bordering on The
Netherlands. For North Frisian you are right, though as far as I know the
language is largely confined to the islands (Sylt, Amrum, Foehr) there, but
on West Frisian I have to correct you again. It is *not at all* in Germany,
but *found entirely* within The Netherlands, where it enjoys official
status in the province of Friesland.

Everything else you say is OK.

St.G.

Dr. Stefan Georg