Jose Perez' questions

Stefan Georg Georg at home.ivm.de
Mon Feb 28 10:00:38 UTC 2000

>    Could you, please, give me the complete reference of the Lexicon der
>Indogermanischen Verbum?

LIV - Lexikon der indogermanischen Verben. Die Wurzeln und ihre
Primaerstammbildungen, Unter Leitung von Helmut Rix und der Mitarbeit
vieler anderer beearbeitet von Martin Kuemmel, Thomas Zehnder, Reiner Lipp,
Brigitte Schirmer, Wiesbaden: Dr. Ludwig Reichert Verlag 1998, ISBN
3-89500-068-X

>    Does anybody know whether it could be purchased via internet?

Reichert Verlag, together with some other purely scholarly-oriented
publishers here, has not, AFAIK, made its holdings accessible through the
usual book search engines (though this may be yesterday's news). So, you'd
have to write to them personally. I don't have an e-mail address for them
handy at the moment, but any powerful search-engine should turn one up.

>    I'm also after other "classics" such as Rick's Laut und Formenlehre des
>Griechisches and Meiser's Laut und Formenlehre des Lateins... can they be
>bought in the net?

H. Rix: Historische Grammatik des Griechischen and Meiser: Historische
Laut- und Formenlehre der Lateinischen Sprache have been published by the
Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft in Darmstadt. Their books usually don't
turn up in normal search engines either, but they, at least, have a
web-site of their own: http://www.wbg-darmstadt.de

>    Can somebody give me the reference of the Pokorny's CD version of his
>roots dictionary?

There is none.

>    Is there any more up-dated IE roots dictionary (I remember Beeke's
>mentioning that the Dutch were working on a "new Pokorny". Has it come out
>yet?)

No, not yet. But when it does, it is most likely to be published by
Rodopi/Amsterdam (www.rodopi.nl) in the "Leiden Studies in Indo-European"
series; you could ask them to notify you upon publication (but as far as I
understand it, this may still take some time)

>    Could anybody recommed a German dictionary organized by IE roots?
>(something on the lines of Clairborne's The Roots of English or, still better,
>of Robert's and Pastor's Diccionario etimológico indoeuropeo de la lengua
>española). I'm sure that the Germans must have brought out some good stuff.

Alas, they haven't.

>And since I've mentioned German...
>   Is there such a dictionary for French?

If you are after a general etymological dictionary (not of the type
described above), you can still use E. Gammilscheg: Etymologisches
Woerterbuch der franzoesischen Sprache, Heidelberg: C. Winter 1929 (as with
other older books from that publisher, it might still be available in
non-used form).

>   Dutch?

P.A.F. van Veen: Etymologisch woordenboek. De herkomst van onze woorden,
Utrecht/Antwerpen: Van Dale Lexicografie 1989, ISBN 90-6648-302-4

>   Greek? (I'm afraid I'm still using Andrioti's etymological dictionary for
>Modern Greek, which unfortunately doesn't usually take you far if you
>don't use
>an Old Greek etymological dictionary to go with it. Would Chantraine's
>Dictionnaire étymologique still be your best recommendation?)

Chantraine is a truly remarkable work. However, its main focus is on
"etymologie - histoire des mots", whereas the "etymologie - origine"
approach is better represented in Hj. Frisk: Griechisches etymologisches
Woerterbuch, Heidelberg: Winter; but it is usually considered best by
Hellenicists to have them both

>   Russian?

M. Vasmer: Russisches etymologisches Woerterbuch, Heidelberg: Winter; there
is an upbeat Russian translation of this with copious comments and
amendments on almost every single entry

>    Final request: Ernout and Meillet's Dictionnaire étymologique de la
>langue latine has been out of print for ages and my photocopies (yups!) were
>never much good to start with. What shall I replace them with?

Walde/Hofmann: Lateinisches etymologisches Woerterbuch, Heidelberg: Winter
(yes, that publisher once was the Microsoft of publishers of etymological
dictionaries); but W-H is not necessarily considered the best one of the
"blue" et. dict. published by Winter (this prize goes, IMHO, to Frisk). I
think it could be time to produce a new one. Any takers ?

St.G.

Dr. Stefan Georg
Heerstraße 7
D-53111 Bonn