archers in chariots

Robert Drews rdrews at richmond.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:20:38 UTC 2000

Steve Long has written,

>By the "period when the chariot was an actual factor", you say you mean when
>it was being used by archers.  I took your suggestion to heart and discovered
>that by all accounts the use of the chariot by archers was innovated by the
>Eygptians about 1200BC.

>I take it therefore that it is your well thought-out contention that the
>IndoEuropeans borrowed this idea from the Egyptians to conquer many lands and
>force IE languages upon them?  I will further "study the data" from the
>period and let you know what I turn up.

>Steve Long

This is  wrong.  Ca. 1200 BC chariots as mobile platforms for archers were
suddenly going out of style.  Chariot warfare began ca. 1700 BC, and was
basic to the success of both the 15th (Great Hyksos) Dynasty in Egypt and
to Hattusili and Mursili of Hatti.  And although most linguists and
Aegeanists would not agree, I am still convinced that it was not
coincidental that the Shaft Grave dynasty appeared at Mycenae just after
chariot warfare began.

Robert Drews
(for spring of 2000)
Department of Classical Studies