The Germanic substrate - knives?

milan.rezac at utoronto.ca milan.rezac at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 16 09:45:34 UTC 2000

The vowels are a problem.  I think OCS shows the hard yer for _okuno_;
the Finnish borrowing is _akkuna_ < *_okuno_ (dial., for std. _ikkuna_).
So PSlv. *okuno.  That makes a lot of sense as a derivative of IE. *okw-,
*okw-no- > *okuno-:  cp. Greek op-, omma < *okw-mnt- 'eye', Lat. oculus,
etc.  A connection with Russ. _kinut'_ is improbable because of the
vowels:  _kinut'_ < kynOti (O=syllabic nasal), best connected with kyv-
(something like 'move in a swinging fashion'), sc. *kyv-nO- > kynO-.

Interestingly, the Gothic word for window is auga-dauro 'eye-door',
English window < Old Norse vind-auga 'wind-eye'.