The Germanic substrate - knives?

Jim Rader jrader at Merriam-Webster.com
Thu Nov 16 19:26:04 UTC 2000

Imaginative etymology, but this word is spelled in a late 10th cent.
East Slavic text with a back jer, i.e., oku^no, which is most likely
continued by the modern Russian genitive pl. <okon>.  A derivative
of "eye" as a word for "window" suggests Old Norse <vindauga>,
literally, "wind-eye," whence English <window>, Irish <fuinneog>,
etc.

Jim Rader