*sr- roots in PIE (2)

Sun Oct 8 15:57:44 UTC 2000

besides *sreu- "to flow" Watkins 1985 gives

*srebh- "to suck, absorb"
	< ? *sreu- in the sense of "to (make) flow in" ?
	and also superficially resembles Arabic sh-r-b- "to drink"

*srenk- "to snore", root of words for "snore, snout, etc."
	onomatopoeic?;
	< ? *sreu- "that which produces a flow, flowing" ?

*sri:g- "cold" e.g. Latin fri:gus
	related to *reig- "to stretch out, i.e. rigid" ?

[snip]

>This is just the point I'm making : IE dictionaries such as Pokorny and
>Watkins list several *sC- roots (where C= stop or sonorant) which are ofter
>related to *sVC- roots with similar or identical 'meanings', e.g. *skei-
>'cut'/*sek- 'cut'. But no *(s)r- roots appear in Watkins, even though he
>gives *sreu- 'flow, move' along with *rei- 'flow'.

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women