Greeks by way of Anatolia?

David L. White dlwhite at texas.net
Fri Feb 16 22:26:25 UTC 2001

> dlwhite at texas.net writes:

>> I am pretty sure that there are many other objections to the idea
>> that the pre-Greeks passed through Anatolia, though none occur to me at
>> the ...

> -- the lack of close linguistic connection between the Anatolian IE
> languages and Greek would do.

        Yes, though sadly my attempt to apply similar logic to the idea that
the Anatolians passed though Greece, with the Greeks on their
historical-linguistic heels, does not seem to have met with success.  But I
must admit that "Anatolians through Greece" does at least have the advantage
of placing the pre-Greeks and pre-IAs in contact across the Pontic steppes,
which would explain a few things.  "Greeks through Anatolia" does not even
have that going for it.
        Speaking of siuch matters, it has recently come to my attention that
names of the /-ss-/ and  /-nth-/ types, thought by some to be indicative of
Anatolian settlement (when they occur in Greece) also occur in Italy, where
Anatolian settlement would be a stretch.  Krahe attributes them to
"Pelasgian" sub-strate, a view which I support, in part because Anatolian
did not have any sounds that Greek would borrow as /th/, if variation
between /nt/ and /nd/, as in modern English "seventy", is any indication.

Dr. David L. White