txakur/dzhagaru/cachorro....

Kreso Megyeral miskec4096 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 17 23:10:10 UTC 2001

Rick McAllister wrote:
>How common is this phenomenon in other Romance
>languages and other other languages with grammatical gender?

Interesting thing with disappearing of Latin neuter nouns happens in
Romanian. Romanian actually has neuter gender, but in singular forms it's
equal to masculine, while in plural to feminine. Even the definite article,
which is postpositive in Romanian, doesn't have its own form, but follows
the same pattern.

In one Spanish grammar written in Croatian I found that there are still some
words in Spanish considered neuter (of course, not "leche") that express
collectives or some young animals. The article quoted is LO. Is it indeed,
or is it some interpretation of the author?