Chronology and history of Germanic Consonant Shift

Herb Stahlke hstahlke at gw.bsu.edu
Wed Jun 6 17:50:07 UTC 2001

Prokosch, in his Comparative Germanic Grammar (Secs 16-24), lays out a
linguistic and historical chronology of the Germanic Consonant shift, stating
(. 56) that "it began several centuries B.C. and ended about 500 A.D."  In the
various histories of English and more recent standard surveys of Indo-European,
I haven't seen this matter dealt with much.  Where could I find current
discussion of this and the more general chronology of early Germanic.  The
recent discussion on the etymology of Goth was helpful to some degree.

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306