Urheimat animals

Rich Alderson alderson+mail at panix.com
Tue May 15 01:34:32 UTC 2001

On 10 May 2001, Xavier Delamarre wrote in answer to my query:

> Some literature on the IE salmon (your ref. must be Diebold) :

> - Diebold, A.R. : Contributions to the Indo-European Salmon Problem, in
> Current Progress in Historical Linguistics  ed. William Christie Jr.,
> Amsterdam-New York-Oxford, 1976, 341-388.

This is almost certainly the article I had in mind.  The date is certainly in
the right period.

> - Diebold, A.R. : The Evolution of Indo-European Nomenclature for Salmonid
> Fish : The Case of 'Huchen' , Washington 1985, (JIES  Monograph Series, 5).

Carol Justus, in another message, asked whether this might be the article I was
thinking of.  It may have grown out of the earlier article, but is much too
late to be the one I had read in pre-print.

Thanks to you both.

								Rich Alderson