No subject

Rochelle Newman rochelle-newman at uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 29 16:36:04 UTC 1999

	I was talking to a parent today who was raising her child
bilingually, between German & English.  She was commenting that the child
(now just over 2) was creating blends (that is, combining words from the
two languages).  So, the child's word for blanket was bekke, from blanket +
dekke, and the child's word for brush was brushke or brushte (I'm not sure
I heard the stop consonant correctly, and not knowing German I wasn't sure
what follow-up questions to ask).   I hadn't heard of children combining
words in this manner before, and was wondering whether others had heard of
this.

Rochelle Newman              rochelle-newman at uiowa.edu
Assistant Professor	     (319) 335-2417 (office)
Department of Psychology     (319) 335-1979 (lab)
University of Iowa           (319) 335-0191 (fax)
11 Seashore Hall E
Iowa City, IA 52242-1407
http://www.psychology.uiowa.edu/Faculty/Newman/Newman.html