Language change

JIBZ at aol.com JIBZ at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 13:37:02 UTC 1999

An example of language change, not necessarily adolescent, in the general
population and akin to the example of 'between you and me' replacing 'between
you and I' is the following:

      "Would the person who left the back door open please close it?"  has
become
    "Would the person that left the back door open please close it?"

A logical reason is the who/whom problem found in other contexts.  'That'
solves any such problems nicely.

On the topic of 'wicked' as a positive intensifier, the folks of Maine have
been using that word for a very long time.  We were there in the early-mid
'70's and heard it.  A colleague from Maine tells me that she has always used
it and heard it used by her parents and grandparents when she was a child.
Maybe a native Mainer can give more info on this.

My interest is slips of the tongue so I cannot be much help here.  I'll ask
some young friends for their help!!

Jacquie Betz
formerly of SIU-C
Carbondale, Illinois