Vocabulary Spurt (lost message, from last week)

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Thu Dec 16 20:50:05 UTC 1999

Dear Laura (and Infochildes),

I worked from a mention in Bates, Bretherton, and Snyder, 1988,
that Bates' daughter Julia was referential in English and
appeared more expressive in her Italian.  We analyzed early
MacArthur data for this distinction from 18 English-and-Spanish
learning children.  There's a table about 12 of them and a
small discussion in Pearson, B. Z. & Fernandez, S. C., 1994,
"Patterns of Interaction in the Lexical Growth in Two
Languages of Bilingual Infants and Toddlers."
_Language Learning_ 44, pp 617-653.  I review there, too,
how we counted a child as one or the other.

Do you have a specific hypothesis you want to test for
other languages?

Barbara

>I am looking forward studies which specifically investigate the
>applicability of "referential-expressive distinction" to infants acquiring
>languages other than English. I found only one study (Camaioni &
>Longobardi, 1995) which is about Italian children. Has anyone other
>suggestion? Thank you. Laura D'odorico
>
>Prof. Laura D'Odorico
>Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione
>Via Venezia 8
>35141 PADOVA
>
>e-mail: dodorico at psico.unipd.it
>tel:(49) 8276523