Clare Tarplee

Bill Wells bill.wells at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 18:24:43 UTC 1999

Dear CHILDES members

With deepest sadness I am writing to inform you that our colleague Clare
Tarplee died on Tuesday 16th November, at the age of 36. Clare collapsed at
work on the previous Monday, as the result of a brain haemorrhage, and
never regained consciousness.

In her doctorate and her subsequent research, Clare used the techniques of
Conversation Analysis to study interactions involving children with normal
and atypical language development.

Clare had been a lecturer here since 1992.  She will be greatly missed as
researcher, teacher, colleague and friend.

Bill Wells

Bill Wells, MA, DPhil
Professor of Clinical Linguistics / ESRC Senior Research Fellow
Department of Human Communication Science
University College London
Chandler House
2 Wakefield Street
London WC1N 1PG, U.K.