Japanese CHIDES data

Kazumi Matsuoka kmatsuok at memphis.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:56:18 UTC 1999

Dear Dr. Cote-Reilly,

You might find the 'CHILDES manual for Japanese' (Oshima-Takane and MacWhinney,
1995) helpful.  We used this manual and the most recent edition of CHIDES manual
(MacWhinney 1995) when we began to transcribe Japanese data at the University of
Connecticut.  I am not sure if the hard-copy of the Japanese manual is still
available, but I believe you can download it from the following Web page;

http://jchat.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp/jchat/

    We used Hepburn Roma-ji for the transcription, but the JCHAT group should be
able to give you information about computer program which can convert Japanese text
into Roma-ji format.  Your transcriber would appreciate being able to use Japanese
font.  Using Kanji also reduces the problem of distinguishing homophonous words.
    The Web page is set up by the JCHAT project group.  It is a group of
researchers who use the CHILDES system to analyze Japanese data.  You might want to
join the group (no fee) and find some helpful information for your research.

Hope this helps,

Kazumi Matsuoka, Ph.D.
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
University of Memphis
Campus Box 526430
Memphis, TN
38152-6430 USA