confidentiality

Kathy Hirsh-Pasek khirshpa at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Thu Feb 18 11:21:53 UTC 1999

Brian,  I have been working on the NICHD Study of Early Child Care and some
of these issues have come up in our discussions.  We have a huge database on
children 0 - 3 years that will be made public next January.  My sense of the
group discussion is to take confidentiality very seriously.  With respect to
your levels, that would translate to at least your restrictive level 5.
Yet, I wonder whose responsibility it is to release data -- the researcher's
or the subject's. In your write up of these levels,  you suggest that it is
the researcher's.  Rather, I think that the only one who can grant
permission to use data publicly (or to academicians) is the subject,
through a consent form.  If we do want to use this data more widely, than we
all have to review the consent forms that go to our IRBs.  And, as we have
repeatedly found in the NICHD Study, opinions on these matters vary widely
across  IRBs from different universities.   Only if we explicitly ask
whether data can be shared with others, should we have the power to release
it.  My vote, therefor is to err on the side of caution.   Kathy Hirsh-Pasek