UNIBET, SAMPA, IPA

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Jun 3 23:39:18 UTC 1999

Dear Info-CHILDES,
  I have received feedback from 8 people regarding replacing UNIBET with
SAMPA.  No one recommends keeping UNIBET, so it is now gone.    We will have
to write a program that replaces UNIBET in current transcripts with SAMPA.
However, it may be up to a year before that work is completed.
  The next years should see an emerging Unicode standard with an included IPA
standard and methods for including diacritics.  This, along with a growth in
sonic CHAT, will reduce our reliance on stop-gap notations like SAMPA and
UNIBET.

--Brian MacWhinney