First Language at AAAL

David A. Cohen pispoli at club-internet.fr
Tue Jun 15 08:47:03 UTC 1999

Dear All:

I am the strand co-ordinator for first language acquisition papers to be
presented at the AAAL conference in Vancouver , Canada, March 11th -
14th, 2000.  When Pat Carrell asked be to serve, she said, 'Don't worry,
Susan, we only had 6 submissions in L1 last year, so it won't be too
much work.'   Well, I got to thinking.  That's terrible, only 6
submissions.  I've been going to AAAL for years and giving papers in
both L1 and L2, and it's a lovely conference.  So, I've decided to issue
this rallying call to all of you.  Send in LOTS of abstracts on L1.  We
do Applied Linguistics.  We should be properly represented!   (N.B.
AAAL is not TESOL, and it works hard to keep pure language teaching
issues out of the conference.)

The details of the conference, abstracts etc. can all be found at the
AAAL website  http://www.aaal.org
The deadline for abstracts is August 16th 1999.

Oh, and if anyone would like an offprint of a little review chapter I
wrote on L1 and SLA research for the most recent Annual Review of
Applied Linguistics, just let me know.  I can be contacted at either
pispoli at club-internet.fr  or fosterco at ext.jussieu.fr

All the best to all.

Susan Foster-Cohen