post

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at cogsci.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jun 17 03:54:27 UTC 1999

The frog story has been used in a wide range of cultures, and appears to
be useful in eliciting basic information about both linguistic and
narrative structure.  In Berman & Slobin (1994, Appendix III) we listed
the following non-Western field sites where the frog story has been used:
Morocco (Arabic), Australia (Arrernte, Guugu Yumithirr, Warlpiri),
Botswana (Kgalagadi), US (Kickapoo, Lakhota), Papua New Guinea (Kilivila,
Yupno), Solomon Islands (Longgu), Malaysia (Malay), China (Mandarin),
Japan (Japanese), Belize (Mopan), Gabon (Myene), Uganda (several Western
Nilotic languages), India (Tamil), Mexico (Totonac, Tzotzil, Tzeltal,
Yucatec), Turkey (Turkish).  It has also been used in several sign
languages (American Sign Language, Sign Language of the Netherlands), as
well as with various populations of language-impaired and
developmentally-impaired speakers.

(Berman, R. A., & Slobin, D. I. (1994). _Relating events in narrative: A
crosslinguistic developmental study_.  Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.)

For a useful discussion of cultural factors in use of the frog-story
method, see:  Wilkins, D. P. (1997).  The verbalization of motion events
in Arrernte (Central Australia).  In E. V. Clark (Ed.), _The proceedings
of the Twenty-eighth Annual Child Language Research Forum_ (pp.
295-308).  Stanford, CA: Center for the Study of Language and Information.

-Dan Slobin
Dept of Psychology
University of California, Berkeley