No subject

Lois Bloom lmb32 at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 19 12:28:15 UTC 1999

The difference Ann made was also described in my book (Language
Development: Form and Function in Emerging Grammars, MIT, 1970) in arguing
against 'pivot grammar' --Kathryn and Gia (and, later, Allison)  showed
the first pattern, while Eric (and, later, Peter) showed the 2nd.

Over the years, we also found that the two difference methods of counting
utterance length mattered little, in following up on that original study.
See, forexample, Bloom, Lightbown, & Hood, Structure and Variation in
Child Language, SRCDMonograph, 1975).

--Lois Bloom