bibliographic requests

MAYNE ALISON MARIE Alison.Mayne at Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 24 15:30:27 UTC 1999

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.  Below is a summary of the
recommendations thus far.

Alison Mayne

-------------------------
Jane Edwards:

I usually use keyword or author search on the electronic versions of:
Current Contents, Psych Abstracts, Social Science Citations Abstracts,
MLA, and UC library holdings.  Once you "break into the loop", in terms
of finding even a few references of interest to you, you can expand the
loop by looking up the references mentioned in those sources.
These resources help bridge the gap also between literatures in different
languages because, for example, a university's library holdings
include books in other languages, and so do Psych Abstracts. Current
Contents includes articles in other languages but translates their titles
into English.  The library needs to invest money to have these things
online.  Where they are not available, the standard search engines on the
Web should work.  I have used the web to find references by particular
author.  It simply took a little longer.

--Brian MacWhinney:

Along this line, I have found it really easy to search the
info-childes archive at
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/info-childes.html
and I would recommend that site to others too.

...the current version of the bibliography on the net is almost
twice the size of the one on the CD.  It now has 23,600 references. You
and your students can download the whole bibliography from
childes.psy.cmu.edu/chibib/index.html.  However, they will also need to
download a free copy of the EndNote program from the link given there.

... links to Internet resources on the issue of
language learning.  Right now, this page lists 7 other sites:
  http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/sites.html
They include SALT, CompProf, JCHAT, IASCL, Neonatal Cry, UCSF
(Merzenich), and the Wisconsin symposium page.

Mari Broman Olsen

Altavista and <blush> amazon.com