online child language bibliography

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at UDel.Edu
Wed Mar 31 15:35:13 UTC 1999

Kathy Hirsh-Pasek and I have some news that we hope will be helpful to you
all.  We have written a popular press book on language acquisition that can
be useful for teaching undergraduates as well as for recommending to
parents who want to know more about language development.  It's called "How
babies talk: The magic and mystery of language in the first three years of
life" (Dutton Press) and will come out in June, 1999.  It describes the
wonders of language acquisition in a highly readable, jargon-free style.
Written with numerous vignettes to illustrate its points, it reviews the
most recent research in the field of language development in a way that
conveys the significance of the newest findings.   It begins with how
fetuses process language in the womb and concludes with the paradoxically
competent 3 year-old who is talking a blue streak but can't yet tie her
shoes.

The book covers much more than just the work coming out of our labs;
findings from laboratories around the world are described as a testimony to
infants' and toddlers' amazing linguistic competencies and to the activity
of this research area.

The book also contains two important tools for teaching.  First, a
bibliography for each chapter provides the references discussed.  Second,
sections called "Try This" invite parents to turn their homes into a
laboratory by experimenting and observing their own children.  These can be
used by students as they follow a baby's progress in home visits over the
course of the semester.  The book will cost $26.00 American dollars.

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph.D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Phone:  (302) 831-1634	 Fax:  (302) 831-4445	E-mail:	Roberta at udel.edu