online child language bibliography

Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-Smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 17:35:04 UTC 1999

Hi Roberta,
oh dear, we might be in competition and not just in collaboration! My
daughter and I are just finishing a book on LA for the Developing Child
Series of Harvard Uni Press....though ours will go beyond 3 years.  It's
called "Language Acquisition from foetus to adolescent".  Previously we did
a *really* popular-level book together on infancy called "Everything your
baby would ask if only he or she could talk..." published in the US by
Golden Books. It's a bit gimmicky (the publisher insisted) but does bring a
lot of scientific results to the public.   I had always wanted my "Baby
It's You" (Ebury Press, Random House) which accompanied an Emmy-winning TV
series on the first three years of life to be turned into a first year text
book, but I couldn't be bothered and no-one else took up the challenge. I
do think it's important for academics to bring science to the general
public in a pallatable form, so am really looking forward to seeing your
book.  Our LA book isn't targeted at the general public, more for young
psych students, nurses and the like, as the whole series is aimed.  Can I
order a copy from you?  It'll take forever before the British have it
available for sale.  I'll be at Albuquerque, will you?
best thoughts and thanks again for all your hospitality to my student. She
just loved her stay with Renee and you lot.
Annette