Human Subjects Review and Maintaince of Audio/Video Tapes

Lynn Santelmann santelmannl at pdx.edu
Mon May 3 16:45:44 UTC 1999

I have recently applied for human subjects review at Portland State
University and was surprised to receive a query from the committee as to
"how long will the videos and records be stored and how and when will they
be destroyed?"

I had carefully explained in my application that any publications of
results or  transcripts would use only code names, so as to protect the
privacy of the participants, and that the audio and video tapes were to be
kept in locked cabinets in my office/lab. To be honest, I hadn't considered
destroying the original tapes, and I don't want to be required to do so. I
have often found it necessary to go back to the original tapes to clarify
issues that come up later, or to answer questions that arise later (such as
might stem from peer review).

This certainly touches on the issues of privacy and confidentiality that
were discussed on this list recently, but at the same time, I find this
request to be excessive, especially since I am not proposing to make the
recordings public, except through transcripts.

My questions for the community are:
1. Has anyone else run up against this kind of request to destroy the
original tapes?
2. Any suggestions on how to respond to this committee?

Thanks for the help,

Sincerely,

Lynn Santelmann
Lynn Santelmann, Assistant Professor