language in Teletubbies

Eiko Ushida z2221742 at student.unsw.edu.au
Thu May 20 23:03:18 UTC 1999

I do agree (based on personal opinion) that, overall, the idea, pacing,
content etc. of the Teletubbies is appropriate for toddlers.

However, a student of mine at U. Mass. - Amherst, Sarah Schmidt,
has recently completed a small study of the phonological patterns of the
Teletubbies.  The basic reserch question was, "Are the Teletubbies'
phonologies similar to those of "real" two-year-olds?". The results can
be summarized as follows:

1. In some respects, they are, but see below.

2. In some respects, they are advanced, especially in production of
fricatives, liquids, and clusters.

3.  In some respects, their phonologies are deviant.  Of particular note
are:
        odd substitutions for liquids (e.g., [v] for /r/)
        odd substitutions of liquids, including liquid clusters (e.g., gr- for
initial singleton [p] and initial singleton [m]!)
        omissions of initial and medial consonants (as in [E?o] for "hello",
but also elsewhere), including consonants which are precociously
produced in other contexts (e.g., "clever" is pronounced correctly, but
"look" is pronounced as [Uk]).

Will this have any effect on the children who watch????  I don't know.

I heard recently from some of his students that Jim Scobbie at Queen
Margaret University College at Edinburgh had done some investigating re:
the Teletubbies, but haven't had a chance to ask him directly about it
yet.

We hope to present different aspects of these results at BU and/or ASHA
this fall.

Shelley Velleman

P.S. I have tried to get a "press pack" from the British "home" of the
Tubbies, "Ragdoll Productions", with no success.  How/where did you get
yours??