language in Teletubbies

FELDMAN ANDREA feldman at stripe.Colorado.EDU
Fri May 21 01:54:21 UTC 1999

I have just received a reply (off list) that mentions that the
Po doll says 'eh oh' for 'hello'--perhaps a British pronunciation
of 'uh oh' ?  I wonder if the writers of the show chose this
word (or pronunciation) to mimic children's use of the word
'hello' for 'telephone' (though my child used the word 'bye bye'
for telephone')--I can imagine a rather far-fetched connection,
if a caregiver said 'uh oh' every time the phone rang...
Andrea Feldman