A (tough) transcription question

Susan M. Powers spowers at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Nov 23 16:45:27 UTC 1999

Dear all,

I am hoping someone has a suggestion for the following example in which
the mother interrupted herself in the middle of the participle form of a
particle verb in German.
It now stands in the transcript as:

*MOT:   runtergekn  [//] # sprungen.

"runter" means down, "ge-" is the past tense morpheme, and the verb that
the mother
started to say begins with the consonant cluster "kn" but instead she
wanted to say:

    runtergesprungen

or "down-ge-jumped" (jumped down) which is one word.

I can come up with two possibilities. The first is:

        &runterge &kn [//] sprungen .

but  because of the & this will not be counted as the single word
"runtergesprungen".
Also "sprungen" is a past participle and is ungrammatical with out "ge-"
.

The second is:

        runtergekn [//] runtergesprungen .

but this is not really what was said.

Is there a way to mark a self-correction within a single word?

Thanks,

Susan Powers
University of Potsdam