retracing within a word

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sun Nov 28 23:27:28 UTC 1999

Dear Susan,

  The best I can come up with in terms of a main line coding of your
maternal correction is:

*MOT:   &runtergekn [//] (runterge)sprungen

If you can divine her actual "kn" target stem as something like kneifen, you
could have

*MOT:   runtergekn(iefen) [//] (runterge)sprungen

In any case, CHAT is fundamentally weak when it comes to coding events inside
words.  As we build tools for what Steven Bird and Mark Liberman call
Annotation Graphs in the TalkBank project, it may get easier to do this.  In
the meantime, you can just notate what you see on a %err or a %com line.

--Brian MacWhinney

P.S.  I guess this is really a topic for info-chibolts, rather than
info-childes, right?