TTR variation

Brian Richards B.J.Richards at reading.ac.uk
Thu Oct 14 08:22:37 UTC 1999

Dear Charles,

My colleague David Malvern and I have spent a lot of time on this problem.
We have developed a solution which mathematically models the relationship
between TTR and token size, and uses software to randomly sample tokens
from CHAT transcripts and give average TTRs for increasing token sizes. A
curve-fitting procedure adjusts one parameter (D)  to provide the best fit
between actual and theoretical curves. D is used as the measure of lexical
diversity, and validation work on this measure has been encouraging.

The software exists in a UNIX version. I recently sent a copy to Brian
MacWhinney in the hope that it can be made more widely available via
CHILDES.

Brian

Dr. Brian J. Richards
School of Education
University of Reading
Bulmershe Court
Earley
Reading RG6 1HY
UK                   Tel 0118 9875123 (x 4814)