Readings with Cross-linguistic Overview

Lynn Santelmann santell at nh1.nh.pdx.edu
Wed Sep 1 21:28:38 UTC 1999

Dear All,

I am looking for several readings (suitable for upper-level
undergraduates) that contain an overview of crosslinguistic trends in
langauge development, in particular for phonological, syntactic
and pragmatic development. I have a number of readings that focus on
particular languages, and a few that give some overview, but they are
either dated or not terribly accessible for my students.

Can anyone recommend good readings with a cross-linguistic
_overview_? I will welcome any suggestions, even those outside
phonology, syntax and pragmatics, because they may turn out to be
better than the readings I'm currently using.

Thank you for your help; I will post a summary.

Best,

Lynn Santelmann
Lynn Santelmann, Assistant Professor
Department of Applied Linguistics