criteria of comparison

Dan I. SLOBIN slobin at cogsci.berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 16 19:57:35 UTC 2000

There are unsolvable problems, in my opinion, in attempting MLU counts in
a language like Italian, that has inflections that conflate several
meaning elements.  For example, how many morphemes--from a learner's point
of view--are contained in "i ragazzi"?  The actual count is quite high:

	i = definite article, masculine, plural
	ragazzi = boy, masculine, plural

That is six morphemes for 'the boy-s', which counts as three morphemes in
English.  Similar issues arise with regard to adjectives and verbs (e.g.,
do you count four morphemes for "parlo": speak, 1st-person, singular,
present?).  An MLU count for an individual child only makes sense if you
know whether the morphemes in question are productive--that is, whether
they can be applied across a range of lexical items, and especially if
they can be applied to new lexical items (real or nonce).  Lacking a
measure of productivity, a count in words might be better.  But then you'd
have to attend to what kinds of words are involved (i.e., part of speech)
as well as the possibility of "amalgams."  I would prefer a more careful
breakdown of the grammatical morphemes that are productively used by each
chid being investigated.

-Dan Slobin
Dept of Psychology
University of California, Berkeley