MLU and comparison criteria

Edy Veneziano Edy.Veneziano at clsh.univ-nancy2.fr
Tue Dec 19 08:55:07 UTC 2000

Indeed this is a crucial point that requires fine analytical tools to be
answered.
And to my mind, depending on developmental level, the answer might be only
probabilistic rather than definite
(rules of the thumb like those mentioned by Yonata help to go on but do not solve
the basic issues).
One of the things that I think should be avoided is to consider productions in
isolation, something that unfortunately may occur with online ways of coding.

One bit of evidence that might be used more widely consists in looking for
morphologically relevant variation in one and the same type of word, although
also this is not bullet-proof because each one of the items could be learned as a
separate entry. However, considerations of the overall trend in the child's
production might provide a further crucial hint.
A more encompassing system approach to the analysis of children's productions
might be a revealing useful tool in this thorny domain.

Edy