Psycholinguistic research in India

Gowri Iyer giyer at crl.ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 19 22:28:00 UTC 2000

Dear Info-Childes members,

I am a third year doctoral student from India enrolled in the US in an
interdisciplinary doctoral program in Language and Communicative Disorders
at San Diego State University and the University of California, San Diego
( http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/chhs/cd/cd_degree_phd_general.html).

Thus far my research has focused on language acquisition and real-time
language processing in typically-developing children and adults.  My goal is
to apply this knowledge to further our understanding of the brain bases of
language breakdown in clinical populations using both behavioral (on-line
reaction
time paradigms) and neural imaging techniques (such as fMRI).

I am also interested in bilingual/multilingual contexts especially with
regard to Indian languages (specifically Dravidian languages or
Hindi/Urdu).  I will be travelling
to India in the next month to meet with researchers in the hopes of
setting up a cross-linguistic research project. During the past year, I have
been examining the literature on language acquisition in Indian
languages/dialects and have found very little at this point.

I am turning to the CHILDES community in the hope that some of you may be
able to direct me towards language acquisition studies or child language
researchers in Indian languages. Thanks in advance. I will post the
information I get so that others who might be interested may also have
access to it.....

Sincerely,
Gowri Iyer
P.S. Happy Holidays!!!