individual differences in L1/L2

Fred Genesee genesee at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 28 13:49:10 UTC 2000

there was quite a bit of research about 10 years ago on individual
differences in second language learning; this issue seems to have
disappeared from the research landscape. Even when this topic
was popular, I personally know of no study that addressed the
specific issue you refer to -- it would indeed be difficult to do, if I
understand you correctly, because it would require having data on
learning style for the same individuals when learning their primary
language and a second language. This would take some planning.
A good source for some of the individual differences work in SLA is
Language Learning.

Fred Genesee

At 11:40 AM 1/28/00 +0100, David A. Cohen wrote:
>Dear Colleagues and friends:
>
>Does anyone know of any research which investigates whether individuals
>retain the same individual preferences (analytic/gestalt,
>referential/expressive etc.) which they demonstrate in L1 when they
>learn their second language(s)?  I'm particularly interested in L2 adult
>acquisition in this connection, but would also like to know whether the
>question has been considered in relation to bilingual or child L2
>acquisition.  I can see all sorts of (mostly methodological) reasons why
>the question might not have been tackled, particularly with respect to
>adults; but I'm interested in what others think.
>
>Cheers,
>

>Susan Foster-Cohen

Psychology Department           phone: (514) 398-6022
McGill University               fax: (514) 398-4896
1205 Docteur Penfield Ave.
Montreal, Quebec
Canada
H3A 1B1