individual differences in L1/L2

David A. Cohen pispoli at club-internet.fr
Fri Jan 28 10:40:52 UTC 2000

Dear Colleagues and friends:

Does anyone know of any research which investigates whether individuals
retain the same individual preferences (analytic/gestalt,
referential/expressive etc.) which they demonstrate in L1 when they
learn their second language(s)?  I'm particularly interested in L2 adult
acquisition in this connection, but would also like to know whether the
question has been considered in relation to bilingual or child L2
acquisition.  I can see all sorts of (mostly methodological) reasons why
the question might not have been tackled, particularly with respect to
adults; but I'm interested in what others think.

Cheers,

Susan Foster-Cohen