publishing book-length manuscripts

Mick Perkins m.perkins at sheffield.ac.uk
Sat Jan 29 13:43:55 UTC 2000

I would like to echo Virginia Valian's reaction to Kluwer's pricing strategy
for academic books. Kluwer is publishing the proceedings of the Child
Language Seminar held in Sheffield, UK, in September 1998 (edited by myself
and Sara Howard with the title 'New Directions in Language Development and
Disorders') and have set the price at NLG 325.00 / USD 139.50 / GBP 96.50,
which I find outrageous for 314-page book. In face of my protests they have
agreed a 25% reduction for individuals who buy from them directly, but this
excludes bookstores, libraries etc, and is still pretty exorbitant.

Mick Perkins

Department of Human Communication Sciences
University of Sheffield
Sheffield, UK.