publishing book-length manuscripts

Fred Genesee genesee at ego.psych.mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 29 15:19:54 UTC 2000

The question of students and graduates publishing dissertation research
in book or journal article form has interesting cross-cultural dimensions.
In psychology, a book publication is not only not recommended
to students and young scholars, it is actively discouraged, on the
grounds (rightly or wrongly) that book-type manuscripts do not
get the thorough reviewing that journal articles do and thus
do not attest so clearly to the author's worth. thus, in psychology
it is usually only among relatively senior scholars that one tends to find
book credits on one's CV.

In contrast, my experience with colleagues in linguistics tells me
that a book publication is the sine qua non of merit and promotion
decisions.

I personally favour journal articles because of my cultural background,
but also because I think they get wider readership -- vive la difference!

Fred