No subject

Paula Menyuk menyuk at bu.edu
Mon Nov 6 19:06:05 UTC 2000

	My original message (which some of you did not receive) was that
all sentences that are of the form "If you be good I or someone will do
something to or for you.." are no good because "you" takes the verb "are"
and further that these were not "command sentences. I was waiting for a
response like phooey! and a discussion about dialect. It was interesting
because a non-native teacher of English posed the question. I do thank all
of you who responded even though you did not get my original message.
Although dialect questions seem to have been backgrounded they remain, in
my mind, of great interest, and have great educatonal importance.