word learning/vocabulary

Maagnetism at aol.com Maagnetism at aol.com
Fri Feb 2 15:35:08 UTC 2001

I'm looking for links between two areas of research that seem rather
independent of each other in the literature:  the developmental research on
early word learning in toddlers and young children, and studies of vocabulary
learning from reading and education research.  (In the second category, some
of the papers I have include White, Graves, & Slater, 1990; Anderson & Nagy,
1991; Beck & McKeown, 1991.)

Does anyone know of theoretical papers or longitudinal studies that serve as
a transition?  I'm interested in vocabulary studies with kindergartners and
early elementary students in which the studies have conceptual ties to the
early word learning research.  If you reply to me personally, I'll summarize
and post the information.  I'm a grad student at the University of Florida
and would be grateful for suggestions.

Lisa Maag
maagnetism at aol.com