Light verbs

David Barner david.barner at mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 25 09:55:37 UTC 2001

Dear info-CHILDES members,

I¹m currently working on a project investigating, in part, the acquisition
of so-called ³light verbs², such as have, do, give, take, etc.  The
acquisition of such verbs has been studied by Eve Clark, for their ³general
purpose² qualities in early communication.  I wonder if list members can
suggest any additional acquisition studies on these particular verbs and/or
the constructions in which they occur? Studies of non-English speaking
children would also be of interest. Thanks for your suggestions.

David Barner
McGill University