backing up videotapes

Erika Hoff ehoff at fau.edu
Mon Jul 16 21:28:18 UTC 2001

Dear all,

Thanks to the many who responded to my query about how to back up
videotapes. The gist of the answer, as I understand it, is that first you
must digitize your tapes, saving them as .avi files or compressed as .mpg
files. Then you can write these files onto a CD. To accomplish the
digitizing part you need a video capture card and accompanying software. You
hook up the VCR to the card to create the files. Then you need a CD burner
to put the files on the CD. One suggested program for accomplishing the
first part is called Broadway, version 2.5; and a recommended website is
http://www.videoguys.com/dtvhome.html.

Other comments were that these digitized files take up a great deal of space
and the whole process is very time consuming and expensive.

Thanks again,

Erika

Erika Hoff, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology