Picture Books for Eliciting Emotional Expressions

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 20:07:52 UTC 2001

Hi!

There are quite a lot of picture books for primary school children, aimed
at 'getting them in touch' with their emotions. There is a lot of debate
about whether they serve the intended purpose or not; but at any rate they
could be useful for your study, as they typically include illustrations
both of the emotional expressions and of events which elicit them.

One of the earliest is Terry Berger and Howard Spivak: I Have
Feelings; Human Sciences Press, 1978. It is illustrated by photographs.

More recent books include:

Mary Atkinson: Why Can't I Be Happy All the Time?; Dorling Kindersley,
1997

Books by 'Althea' (Althea Braithwaite):

Feeling Angry

Feeling Jealous

Feeling Sad

Feeling Scared

Feeling Shy

Being Friends

Books by Janine Amos (all published by "Cherrytree" in Bath, England)

Angry (1990)

Jealous (1990)

Sad (1990)

Hurt (1990)

Lonely (1990)

Brave (1993)

Confident (1993)

Happy (1993)

Friendly (1993)

Moody (1994)

Books by Brian Moses and M. Gordon (all published by Wayland, 1993)

I Feel Angry

I Feel Frightened

I Feel Jealous

I Feel Sad

Books by Sally Hewitt (all published by Watts)

Feeling Angry

Feeling Jealous

Feeling Shy

Feeling Worried