BIDS Uncover

Katie Alcock K.J.Alcock at city.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:04:18 UTC 2001

This is a pretty expensive service.  It is $18.25 for a Science article
and $24 for one from Behavioral and Brain Sciences.  I don't know
how much inter library loans cost elsewhere but here they are £1.

It's also much cheaper to send a reprint request card - if it's an
older article and you suspect the author may have no more
reprints, you could add a little plea that it's not available in your
institution or indeed country, if they are feeling kind they might
photocopy it again for you.

This is a big problem though, the difficulty of even finding out about
other people's research let alone doing your own in underfunded
countries.  Having tried to do research in a country that is far less
well funded than Turkey I know the difficulties.

The internet should theoretically make the playing field a bit more
level.  Internet access is now less than $1 for half an hour in many
African capitals.  This isn't the whole story though, as the prices
above show.

It would be really nice if people would, as a matter of course, put
their articles on the web as pdf files - in my department in London
we've only just gained the capability to do this as we didn't have the
Acrobat program that saves the files till recently, but I will do my
best!  It would also be helpful if Psycinfo, like Medline, was freely
available - my colleagues in East Africa can't even do literature
searches on behaviour as they can't access Psycinfo - although
their medical counterparts can do this.

Katie

On 22 Mar 01, at 5:42, HDungo at aol.com wrote:

> Dear Sukran and info-childers,
> There is a service for getting hold of back numbers of journals and
> looking for articles by author or key word which may be of use to you. You
> can get a particular article faxed to you for a small fee. It's called
> BIDS Uncover and the service is on telnet telnet://bids.ac.uk/ There is an
> internet address too http://uncweb.carl.org I hope that helps, Harriet.
>

> Harriet Dunbar
> 20 Avenue Dewoitine
> 31200 Toulouse.