Odp: phonostylistic processes

Anna Szymanska aniaxs at go2.pl
Mon May 28 14:28:00 UTC 2001

Dear Lise,

Some time ago I recieved your  response to my e-mail concerning
phonostylistic processes among small children.

I realise that we develop our stylistic variants over lifetime and we "work"
on the  way we speak every day. What I'm particularly intrested in is,
however,  not the mere style of our utterances but the phonostylistics. I'd
like to find out when children begin to recognise various phonostylistic
processes, for example, assimilation. In which period of their development
do they become conscious of the proper pronounciation? In other words, when
a parent performs reciprocal assimlation in  "don't you", or regressive
assimlation "ten bikes", etc. when does the child become aware of the
difference between assimilated and non-assimilated sound. Does this
recognision take place when children are 2(?), 3(?) or 4 -years old, or
perheps only when they learn how to read and write?

I'd be really grateful if you could comment on that.
Anna Szymanska