digital video and audio system

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Mon Nov 12 19:25:21 UTC 2001

Dear Barbara and Info-CHILDES,
  Regarding your interest in digital video, I wonder if you have taken a
look at the advice I have compiled at http://talkbank.org/digitalvideo/
  These suggestions were compiled at the beginning of the year.  Since then,
several major changes have occurred in this area in terms of availability of
new products and new formats.   In particular,
1. The new Macintosh G4 now has full support for mastering your own MPEG-2
DVD movies.
2. I have learned it may be best to us the Sony DSR-11 with the DV-CAM
format for various archiving and and data transfer processes.  Mini-DV is
not a bad format, but for some purposes the standard (professional) DV
format may be better.
3. On Windows it is possible to digitize into Motion JPEG format in real
time on high end machines.  I don¹t recommend this for data that would
eventually be contributed to CHILDES, since this format is tightly
controlled by Microsoft.

I will try to update these pages soon to reflect these new changes.
Regarding the other issues of cameras, microphones, etc. the web pages from
the URL given above are still all very up to date.

--Brian MacWhinney